Feeding crows


 

Ok! So recently I have been doing the usual, y’know: chilling, walking, feeding crows, and- oh, you don’t feed crows!? Well, you should believe me when I say you’re missing out.

One day all those years ago, I found a stump. Where I live we have many cardinals, so I decided to take said stump home and use it to feed those birds. I looked up on the internet to see what food cardinals enjoy eating: turns out that they like bird seed! (No surprises there.)

Days later and my family and I saw no cardinals. We did, however, get some other unexpected guests; we got crows!!! We later discovered that crows were more apt to eat peanuts instead of birdseed, so nowadays we buy unsalted peanuts for our dear crows.  At that time there were three crows, one of them only had one leg. That crow at once became as important to me as my own two dogs. 

After that day we were visited by many more crows, some of which I believe were just newly born. I stopped seeing my little one legged crow and I grew worried. Oh, I hoped something hadn’t happened to that poor thing! Not to worry though, because a little while after the little one legged crow had stopped coming here all together, I saw him flying around on a path by the ocean about fifteen minutes from where I live. And I mean sure, maybe it wasn’t him; but how many one legged crows can there be in Acadia? 


These days the crows that I see are all, I don’t know, teenagers? And I do not see as many as I used too. Fear not though, because I have seen a new nest and there should be lots of baby crows around here by summer time!


Oh, that reminds me. There has been some drama over by the crow nest recently. I was out walking with my family one day and I heard the crows going crazy! We went to go see what was going on, when we spotted the crows flying around a tree with a nest in it, we didn’t know what was going on until suddenly a giant bald eagle flew right over us and into the horizon on the other side of the road. The next day (I think) we heard the crows going crazy again, so we went outside to see what was going on. Well believe it or not, but the bald eagle was back again! This time the bird was sitting in the tree that held the nest! Eventually the crows managed to scare the eagle away, as the eagle left, it looked like it was carrying a fish in its talons. Days later and we have not seen the eagle since, I can guess that the crows are very pleased about this. 


That is all.  


------------------------------------------
🐦Alison contributed to this blog. The style is all hers.

Comments

Popular Posts